How It Works:
Amoxicillin kills bacteria by interfering with the production of the bacterial cell wall (outer coating of bacteria). As a result, the bacterial cell wall is weakened and ruptured, thereby killing the bacteria.
Nausea, skin rash, severe skin allergies., pain and irritation at the site of injection
Amoxicillin belongs to a class of antibiotic medicines called penicillin. It is used to treat bacterial infections of the respiratory tract (bronchitis, pneumonia), genital and urinary tract (gonorrhoea, ), skin and soft tissue, ear (otitis media); nose, sinus, and throat (tonsillitis, sinusitis); heart (endocarditis), kidney, urethra or bladder, blood (septicemia), teeth and gums (abcesses), typhoid and paratyphoid fever.
- Do not take this drug if you are allergic to amoxicillin or penicillin.
- Take the medicine with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- You may have loose stools while taking this drug. It gets better after finishing the course, If it worsens consult your doctor.
- Amoxicillin can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking this medicine.
- Space the doses evenly during the day, at least 4 hours apart.
- Keep taking amoxicillin until the treatment is finished, even if you feel better.
- Do not take amoxicillin for more than 2 weeks or two doses in 1 hour.
- Tell your doctor that you are taking amoxicillin before you go through urine or blood tests for liver function test.
- Consult your doctor before taking amoxicillin if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is amoxicillin safe for infants, or during pregnancy, breast-feeding, or affect birth control?
Pediatric suspension of amoxicillin in the dosage as prescribed by the doctor is recommended for infants. Amoxicillin is generally regarded as a safe drug during pregnancy or breast feeding. However, it should be taken only after consulting the doctor and when potential benefits outweigh the involved risks. Amoxicillin may reduce the effect of the birth control pills.
Q. Does amoxicillin act against anaerobic bacteria?
Amoxicillin is active against aerobic as well as anaerobic bacterial infections.
Q. Does amoxicillin cause yeast infections?
Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic and hence with prolonged use may also kill helpful bacteria in the body that keep the body’s yeast population in check, thereby causing yeast infections.
Q. Can I take amoxicillin for sore throat, cold, cough, flu, food poisoning, pseudomonas infection or virus infections?
Amoxicillin is only effective against bacterial infections not viruses. Food poisoning (due to Salmonella), pseudomonas infections, as well as sore throat, cold and cough caused due to bacteria can be treated with amoxicillin.
Q. Does amoxicillin cause constipation, drowsiness or headache?
No. Amoxicillin does not cause constipation, drowsiness or headache. However, consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.
Q. How long does novamoxin take to work?
Anywhere between one to seven days but it depends on the type of infection and its severity.
Q. Is novamoxin gluten free?
Novamoxin, which contains amoxicillin, is gluten free.