How It Works:
Bisacodyl is a stool softener, belongs to a class of medications called stimulant laxative. It acts directly on inner lining of the bowel, stimulating them to cause increased bowel movement. This helps in evacuation of bowels.
nausea, blood in stool, Severe allergic reaction, vomiting, swelling of eyes and lips, Abdominal cramps or pain, hypersensitivity, dizziness, dehydration., and diarrhea
Bisacodyl is used to treat constipation. It is also used for bowel clearance before surgery, labor or radiological investigation.
- It is recommended to take bisacodyl tablets at night to have better bowel movement in the morning. Coated tablets should not be taken with milk, antacids, or proton pump inhibitors to avoid premature dissolution of the tablet.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if you experience abdominal spasm due to bisacodyl intake or otherwise.
- Do not take this drug within one hour of taking antacid, milk or dairy productsIf you are using a suppository, make sure to remove the wrapper from the suppository before inserting it into your rectum.
- Do not take the medicine if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or had sudden changes in your stool for more than 2 weeks.Do not use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor. Using Dulcolax for a long time may result in loss of normal bowel function
- Do not give the medicine to child less than 4 years of age.
- Do not start or continue the bisacodyl tablets/ suppository without consult your doctor: If you are allergic to bisacodyl or to any of the ingredients of tablet/suppository. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is bisacodyl the same as Dulcolax, Colace?Is bisacodyl a stool softener?
Dulcolax is one of the trade names of bisacodyl. Colace is trade name of docusate. Bisacodyl and docusate belongs to same category of drugs (stool softener) with similar action, but their effect may vary upon individual response.
Q. Is bisacodyl safe? Is bisacodyl safe for long term use?
Bisacodyl is safe if used as recommended. In case of any side effects, consult your doctor. Long term use of bisacodyl is not recommended. Please consult your doctor before use.
Q. Is bisacodyl safe during pregnancy?Does bisacodyl cross the placenta?
There are no evidence of bisacodyl causing harm during pregnancy or crossing placenta. However, always consult your doctor before use.
Q. Is bisacodyl over the counter?
Yes, bisacodyl is available over the counter.
Q. Is bisacodyl gluten free?
Yes. Bisacodyl is gluten free. However, please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand before use.
Q. Does bisacodyl cause diarrhea, nausea, Melanosis coli, cancer, bloating?
Bisacodyl can cause diarrhea, nausea and bloating. Bisacodyl does not cause Melanosis coli (pigmentation of the colon wall) and cancer.
Q. Does bisacodyl help lose weight?
Bisacodyl does not help to lose weight.