How It Works:
Camphor belongs to the class of medicines called rubefacients/antitussives. When applied to the skin, it increases blood flow and local temperature of the affected area which suppresses and temporarily relieves pain sensations. It also eases cough, nasal/throat irritation by moistening air passages when used along with steam.
Irritation of ear, Allergic skin rash
Camphor is used in the treatment of dermatitis (skin rash or irritation), itching and eczema (red and itchy skin)
- Do not apply this medicine on wound/damaged skin, eyes and nose.
- Tell your doctor if you have sensitive skin. Avoid exposure to sunlight as it can cause photosensitivity.
- Do not administer camphor based medicines orally in large amounts as it can be toxic.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to camphor or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if below 2 years.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is camphor edible?
Edible camphor is different from the chemically made camphor. Camphor used in cooking is ‘edible camphor'
Q. Is camphor poisonous?
Yes, if camphor is applied to broken skin, it can enter the body quickly and reach concentrations that are high enough to cause poisoning. Overdose of camphor can result in poisoning.
Q. Is camphor saturated or unsaturated?
Camphor is unsaturated
Q. Is camphor soluble in water?
No, camphor is not soluble in water.
Q. Is camphor and naphthalene same?
No, camphor and naphthalene are not same.
Q. Does camphor cause cancer?
There is no scientific information available which confirms that camphor causes cancer.
Q. Does camphor burn with a flame?
Yes, camphor releases hydrocarbon gases that will burn and releases flame.