How It Works:
Clavulanic acid belongs to a group of medicines called beta-lactamase inhibitors. It blocks the activity of a chemical (beta-lactamase), which is secreted by bacteria to protect themselves from antibiotic drugs like amoxicillin, thereby allowing the antibiotics to act against the bacteria. It does not kill bacteria and is never used alone to treat infections.
indigestion, nausea, infection or illness ., vomiting, skin rash or itching, Diarrhea, allergic skin reaction, dizziness, increase in liver enzymes .abnormal blood counts, headache, fungal infections
Clavulanic acid is used to increase the effect of certain antibiotics (amoxicillin) to treat bacterial infections of the respiratory tract (bronchitis, pneumonia), urinary tract, ear, nose, sinus and throat, skin and soft tissues, bone and joints, and to prevent infections after surgery.
- Take clavulanic acid containing antibiotics along with food and with plenty of fluids.
- Do not start or continue the clavulanic acid containing antibiotic tablets and consult your doctor, if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to clavulanic acid, penicillins or any of the other ingredients of this drug.
- Do not take the drug without consulting your doctor, if you have kidney or liver problems.
- Do not take the drug without consulting your doctor, if you have any serious allergic reaction (skin rash, inflammation of blood vessels, fever, joint pain, swollen glands in neck, armpit or groin, swelling of face or mouth [angioedema], difficulty breathing, or collapse).
- Do not take clavulanic acid, if you have had penicillin-associated jaundice or skin rash, kidney or liver dysfunction.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is antibiotic + clavulanic acid combination effective against STD, MRSA, or pseudomonas infections?It is effective against sexually transmitted diseases (STD) caused by bacteria and pseudomonas infections, but weakly effective against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections (MRSA).
Q. Is amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) safe in G6PD deficiency?There are no confirmed studies about the safety of amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) in G6PD deficiency. Consult your doctor before use.
Q. Is amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) nephrotoxic?If taken in appropriate dosage as prescribed by the doctor, Augmentin is not nephrotoxic.
Q. Does amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) contain sulfa?No, amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) does not contain sulfa.
Q. Does amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) make you drowsy or tired?No, amoxicillin + clavulanic acid (Augmentin) does not make you drowsy or tired if taken as prescribed.
Q.Can amoxicillin + clavulanic acid be taken with Nyquil, Xanax, Vyvanse, Mucinex or Azithromycin?There are either weak or no reported interactions with above mentioned drugs with amoxicillin + clavulanic acid. Please consult your doctor before changing any medication.