How It Works:
Dimenhydrinate belongs to the group of medicines called antihistamine and anticholinergic. It acts by inhibiting the chemical substance called histamine and acetylcholine, thus reducing the symptoms of motion sickness.
Drowsiness, Blurred vision, Coordination impaired, Dizziness, Dry nose, Excitement, Fainting, Headache, Hyperactivity, Ringing in ear, Dry mouth, Nausea
Dimenhydrinate is used in the treatment of allergic disorders and motion sickness
- Do not start or continue the dimenhydrinate medication if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to dimenhydrinate or any other ingredients.
- Do not take dimenhydrinate if you have respiratory problems such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung disease, shortness of breath, or sleep apnea.
- Avoid taking dimenhydrinate if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Do not take along with antibiotics (gentamicin, vancomycin) that can cause hearing problems.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of following disease conditions: blockage of the stomach, intestine, or urinary tract, difficulty in urinating, diabetes, ulcers, enlargement of the prostate, glaucoma, heart disease, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, porphyria, or thyroid disease.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is dimenhydrinate an antihistamine?
Yes, dimenhydrinate is an antihistamine
Q. Is dimenhydrinate the same as meclizine/diphenhydramine/Dramamine/Gravol?
Dimenhydrinate (Trade name: Dramamine/Gravol) is different from meclizine/diphenhydramine but having similar action to these drugs
Q. Is dimenhydrinate safe?
Dimenhydrinate is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is dimenhydrinate addictive?
Dimenhydrinate is not addictive if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Can you take dimenhydrinate with Cymbalta?
No, Cymbalta contains the drug duloxetine. It may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty in concentration. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Does dimenhydrinate cause drowsiness /make you drowsy/sleepy/tired?
Dimenhydrinate may cause these side effects. However consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. Does dimenhydrinate potentiate opiates?
Yes, dimenhydrinate potentiates opiates and increases the sedative effects
Q. Does dimenhydrinate contain aspirin?
No, dimenhydrinate does not contain aspirin.