How It Works:
Ephedrine belongs to a class of medications called sympathomimetic agents. It acts by relaxing the air passages and constricting the blood vessels in the nose for relieving nasal congestion and heart for increasing the blood pressure. It also act on brain, which accounts for its use in narcolepsy.
Nervousness, Altered heart rate, Anxiety, Blood circulation disorder, Decreased blood pressure, Dehydration, Insomnia, Dizziness, Dry mouth, Headache, Loss of appetite, Nausea, Tachycardia, Tremor
Ephedrine is used in the treatment of decreased blood pressure
- Inform your doctor if you are suffering from diabetes (high blood sugar levels), angle-closure glaucoma (increased pressure inside the eye that causes visual problems) and difficulty passing urine or kidney impairment.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you experience skin rashes or bleeding from the stomach or intestine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not consume this drug if you are allergic to ephedrine or any of its ingredients.
- Do not consume this drug if you are suffering from heart condition (ischemic heart disease), hypertension (high blood pressure), hyperthyroidism and prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate gland).
- Children below 1 year should not consume this drug.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is ephedrine dangerous/safe?
Ephedrine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is ephedrine illegal/ controlled substance?
Ephedrine is legal. Ephedrine is not currently classified as a controlled substance.
Q. Is ephedrine a stimulant?
Yes, ephedrine is a stimulant
Q. Does ephedrine raise blood pressure?
Yes, ephedrine may increase blood pressure. It is used to treat low blood pressure (hypotension) caused during spinal or epidural anesthesia
Q. Does ephedrine cause hair loss/ drowsiness/ constipation/ acne/ weight loss?
No, ephedrine is not known to cause hair loss, drowsiness, constipation, acne or weight loss. However, consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. Does ephedrine burn muscle/help lose weight?
Ephedrine is known to cause weight loss. However, it is not widely used as a treatment for weight loss.