How It Works:
Fenofibrate stimulates the formation of enzymes for triglyceride metabolism thereby reducing the levels of triglyceride and cholestrol in the body.
Vomiting, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Acne-like rash, Back pain, Joint pain, Pain in extremity, Blisters on skin, Headache, Heartburn, High grade fever, Muscle pain, Weakness, Constipation, Diarrhoea
Fenofibrate is used in the treatment of increased cholesterol levels in blood and increased triglycerides levels in blood
- If you also take medicines such as cholestyramine or colestipol; make sure to take them at least 1 hour after or 4 hours before taking fenofibrate.
- Consult your doctor, if you have diseases such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney or liver ailments.
- Do not take fenofibrate, if you are allergic to it or to any other ingredient in the medicine (lactose).
- Do not take finofibrate, if you are sensitive to sunlight.
- Do not take the medicine, if you are suffering from severe liver, kidney or pancreatic ailments (gall bladder disease, biliary cirrhosis, pancreatitis); if you have muscular disorders, large amount of protein in urine, water retention in the body (nephrotic syndrome), decreased albumin in the blood (hypoalbuminaemia) or poorly controlled diabetes mellitus.
- Do not take the medicine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is fenofibrate the same as Lipitor?
Fenofibrate is a drug belonging to a different class of drugs called “Fibrates”, whereas Lipitor (atorvastatin) belongs to the “Statin” class. Both the medicines act by different mechanisms
Q. Does fenofibrate cause erectile dysfunction, weight gain or memory loss?
Fenofibrate may rarely cause sexual weakness in patients. It does not cause weight gain and memory loss. Consult your doctor before use
Q. Can I take fenofibrate with Lipitor, ibuprofen, niacin, Nyquil or crestor?
Taking fenofibrate with drugs from the statin class (e.g. Atorvastatin or Lipitor; rosuvastatin or crestor) may cause muscle breakdown. There is no significant drug interaction with ibuprofen, niacin or Nyquil. However, always consult your doctor before use
Q. What is fenofibrate?
Fenofibrate belongs to a class of drugs called as fibrates or fibric acid derivatives. It is different from statins, blood thinners, diuretic and nitrate
Q. Is fenofibrate generic?
Yes, fenofibrate is a generic drug sold under several pharmaceutical brand names (TriCor, Antara, Lofibra, Stanlip, Lipicard etc.).