How It Works:
Furazolidone kills bacteria by stopping the growth of bacteria that cause infections.
Acne-like rash, Allergic reaction, Hives, Joint pain, Decreased blood pressure, Dizziness, Headache, Nausea, Stomach upset, Vomiting, Weakness, Chills, Fever
Furazolidone is used in the treatment of diarrhoea
- Do not drink alcohol during and till 4 days after taking furazolidone.
- Furazolidone should not be given to infants up to 1 month of age.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery as you may feel dizzy while taking furazolidone.
- Avoid tyramine-containing foods (meat, fish, dairy products) while using furazolidone and two weeks after medication as it may cause headache and/or increased blood pressure and could lead to a medical emergency.
- Do not take furazolidone, if you are allergic to furazolidone or any other ingredient of drug or have known sensitivity to drugs like primaquin.
- Avoid using furazolidone if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Do not take furazolidone, if you suffer from hypoglycemia or low blood pressure when standing up from sitting or lying position (orthostatic hypotension).
- Do not take furazolidone, if you are taking drugs for Parkinsonism, diabetes, hypertension, sleep disorders or depression.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. How does furazolidone work?
Furazolidone is believed to work by crosslinking of DNA, thereby stopping bacterial growth and killing sensitive bacteria and protozoa
Q. Is furazolidone an antibiotic?
Furazolidone is a nitrofuran antibiotic
Q. What is furazolidone is used for?
Furazolidone is used to treat diarrhea or enteritis caused by bacteria and protozoa including traveler's diarrhea,typhoid fever, cholera, salmonella infections, and giardiasis
Q. Is furazolidone safe and effective?
Although furazolidone is effective in drug resistant infections, it is banned in certain countries due to its side effects that may cause systemic toxicity, and are also recognized as cancer causing chemical (mutagens/carcinogens) by the US FDA. Do consult your doctor before use.