Imatinib should always be taken at the advice of a doctor who is experienced in treating cancers.
Do not start or continue imatinib and consult your doctor;
- If you are allergic to imatinib or any other ingredients in the medicine
- if you have or had a liver, kidney or heart problem
- if your thyroid gland has been removed and you have been prescribed levothyroxine
- if there is weight gain following treatment with imatinib
- if your develop swelling in part or whole of the body as your body may retain water due to imatinib
Do not start imatinib in children without the advice of the doctor, since it may affect the normal growth in children
Effective contraceptives should be used by women during therapy
Your doctor may ask you to undergo certain blood tests before and during treatment with imatinib, to check your response to the drug and the drug’s side-effects.
Imatinib can cause dizziness or drowsiness and blurred vision, therefore, caution should be taken before operating an automobile or machinery or engaging in activities requiring mental alertness and coordination.