fast heartbeat, restlessness, swelling or blistering of the skin, nausea, mild headaches, Swelling of the face or throat, worse angina, difficulty in breathing or wheezing, heartburn, excessive sweating, vomiting, eyes and genitals, tiredness, causing, red or scaly skin., skin rashes or flushing, mouth, fainting or collapse, dizziness, feeling weak
Take isosorbide dinitrate on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. Do not take isosorbide dinitrate if:
- You are allergic to isosorbide dinitrate, other nitrates or any of the other ingredients.
- You suffer from anemia (reduction in red blood cells).
- You have had a heart attack (myocardial infarction).
- You have had a brain hemorrhage (bleeding) or a head injury (trauma).
- You have a low blood volume (hypovolemia) or very low blood pressure.
- You take sildenafil (“Viagra”) avanafil, riociguat, tadalafil, or vardenafil or any other phosphodiesterase inhibitor.
Check with your doctor before taking isosorbide dinitrate if:
- You have hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid gland which can cause tiredness or weight gain).
- You are malnourished (severely underfed).
- You have liver or kidney disease.
- You have been diagnosed with any of the severe heart disease.
- You are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
You must not stop taking isosorbide dinitrate to take sildenafil as this will increase your chances of having an angina attack.Do not drink alcohol.Do not drive or operate machinery.Isosorbide dinitrate should not be used to stop an attack of angina; it is intended only for prevention of an attack.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. What is isosorbide dinitrate/what is isosorbide dinitrate used for/what is isosorbide dinitrate used to treat/ what does isosorbide dinitrate do/why is isosorbide dinitrate prescribed?Isosorbide dinitrate is used to prevent and treat angina pectoris. It is used as an adjunctive treatment in severe acute or chronic congestive cardiac failure.
Q. How does isosorbide dinitrate work/ is isosorbide dinitrate a beta blocker?Isosorbide dinitrate belongs to a group of medicines called organic nitrates. Organic nitrates work by widening the blood vessels in your heart to allow an increased amount of blood to flow to areas which need it. It is not a beta blocker but a vasodilator.
Q. Does isosorbide dinitrate lower heart rate?No, it does not lower heart rate as other beta blockers, instead it widens the blood vessels in your heart.
Q. How is isosorbide dinitrate supplied?Isosorbide dinitrate is available as per your doctor’s prescription.
Q. Can isosorbide dinitrate be crushed/can isosorbide dinitrate be split?Isosorbid dinitrate tablets come in different forms with different method of administration. For example, sublingual tablets should not be chewed, crushed, or swallowed. On the other hand the extended-release tablet or capsule should be swallowed whole. Do not split, crush, or chew it. Always follow your doctor’s advice before taking these tablets or capsules
Q. What does isosorbide dinitrate look like?Isosorbide dinitrate is mostly available as circular, flat bevelled-edge uncoated; colors may vary for different brands.