How It Works:
Memantine belongs to the group of medicines called psychoanaleptics. It acts by modulating the effects of increased levels of chemical substance in the brain called glutamate, and thus decreasing abnormal activity in the brain.
Vomiting, Nausea, Aggression, Back pain, Central nervous system depression, Confusion, Cough, Dizziness, Sleepiness, Headache, Weight gain, Constipation, Diarrhoea
Memantine is used in the treatment of alzheimer's disease (brain disorder that affects memory and intellectual ability)
- Do not start or continue the memantine if you are allergic to memantine or any of other ingredient in the medicine.
- Do not take memantine if you have history of fits (convulsions or seizures); heart disorders.
- Avoid taking memantine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not take memantine if you have recently changed or intend to change your diet substantially (e.g. from normal diet to strict vegetarian diet).
- Do not take memantine if you are suffering from states of renal tubulary acidosis (an excess of acid-forming substances in the blood due to poor kidney function); severe infections of the urinary tract.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is memantine a cholinesterase inhibitor/antipsychotic drug/anticholinergic?
Memantine belongs to the group of medicines called psychoanaleptics. It is not a cholinesterase inhibitor/antipsychotic drug/anticholinergic
Q. Is memantine a controlled substance?
No, memantine is not a controlled substance
Q. Does memantine increase acetylcholine?
No, it does not increase acetylcholine
Q. Does memantine cause drowsiness/make you sleepy?
Yes, memantine cause drowsiness or sleepiness. Always consult your doctor if the symptoms are severe
Q. Does memantine come in liquid form?
Yes, memantine is available in liquid form as oral solution
Q. Does memantine increase dopamine?
Concurrent use of memantine and dopamine may increase the dopamine level in the blood. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does memantine help vascular dementia?
Memantine may help in vascular dementia. Patient should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. How does memantine work in the body?
It works by modulating the effects of increased levels of chemical substance in the brain called glutamate, and thus decreasing abnormal activity in the brain.