How It Works:
It works by relaxing blood vessels and slowing heart rate to improve blood flow and decrease blood pressure.Early intervention and start of metoprolol in myocardial infarction reduces infarct size and the incidence of ventricular fibrillation.
Bradycardia, Fatigue, Insomnia, Peripheral vascular disorders, Altered blood lipids, Asthma
Metoprolol is used for increased blood pressure , angina (chest pain), arrhythmias (abnormal heart beat), heart attack, heart failure and migraine
- Metoprolol may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- The Metoprolol may affect your blood sugar and cover up the symptoms of low blood sugar if you have diabetes.
- Metoprolol may reduce blood flow to your hands and feet, causing them to feel cold. Smoking may worsen this effect. Dress warmly and avoid the use of tobacco.
- Consult your doctor whether to continue Metoprolol before any scheduled surgery.
- It is not the first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have a heart failure or heart disease.
- Adults over the age of 65 may be at greater risk for the side-effects.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is metoprolol safe?
Metoprolol (also available as metolar XR 50/ met Xl/ metolar/ embeta XR) is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is metoprolol a diuretic/ beta blocker/statin/ MAOI/ ACE inhibitor or ARB/ calcium channel blocker?
Metoprolol belongs to the class of beta-blocker drug. It is not a diuretic, statin, MAOI, ACE inhibitor or calcium channel blocker
Q. Is metoprolol tartrate the same as toprol XL?
Metoprolol tartrate and toprol XL are same and Toprol xl is the brand name of the generic drug metoprolol
Q. Can I take metoprolol with amlodipine/ Nyquil /Xanax/ Aspirin/ Ibuprofen/ Benadryl/ Zoloft/ Lisinopril?
Metoprolol can be taken with amlodipine, Lisinopril, Xanax and Aspirin. It is advised to take Nyquil and Metoprolol with doctor’s advice, because Nyquil contains antihistamines which might elevate blood pressure. Ibuprofen is NSAID, which interacts with metoprolol and should be avoided. Metoprolol may slow down the heart rate, and diphenhydramine can cause drowsiness, so Benadryl should be taken only if needed and under doctor’s advice. Metoprolol tartrate oral will increase the level or effect of Zoloft (sertraline) by altering drug metabolism
Q. Does metoprolol cause hair loss/ headache/ lower heart rate/ lower blood pressure/ weight gain/ memory loss/ itching/ cough/ itching/ gas?
Metoprolol may cause some of these effects. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.