How It Works:
Propranolol belongs to a class of medications called beta blockers. Propranolol works by blocking the action of certain natural chemicals in the body (such as epinephrine) that affect the heart and blood vessels. This effect reduces heart rate, blood pressure, and strain on the heart.
Insomnia, Fatigue, Bradycardia, Peripheral vascular disorders, Asthma, Altered blood lipids
Propranolol is used in the treatment of angina (chest pain), arrhythmias (abnormal heart beat), heart attack, increased blood pressure , anxiety and migraine
- Propranolol may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- The Propranolol may affect your blood sugar and cover up the symptoms of low blood sugar if you have diabetes.
- Propranolol may reduce blood flow to your hands and feet, causing them to feel cold. Smoking may worsen this effect. Dress warmly and avoid the use of tobacco.
- Consult your doctor whether to continue Propranolol before any scheduled surgery.
- It is not the first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have a heart failure or heart disease.
- Adults over the age of 65 may be at greater risk for the side-effects.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. What is betacap tr, inderal, and ciplar?
These are various brand (proprietary) names for propranolol medicine. Propranolol is a beta blocker drug which works to correct the heart rhythm
Q. Is propranolol safe?
Propranolol belongs to beta blocker class and works on heart rhythm so caution has to be observed before usage. Always ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking propranolol. Propranolol is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is propranolol addictive?
No. Propranolol doesn’t seem to have habit forming potential
Q. Is propranolol MAO inhibitor or a statin?
No. Propranolol belongs to a medical class called beta blockers and works to correct abnormal heart rhythm along with other uses
Q. Is propranolol safe for long term use?
Yes, it can be used for long term based on indication
Q. Is propranolol available over the counter?
No. Propranolol is available only when a valid prescription is produced
Q. Is propranolol used to treat anxiety?
Yes. Propranolol can be used to mitigate tremors associated with the anxiety
Q. Is propranolol used for migraines?
In certain situations, propranolol has proved to be effective in preventing migraine attacks but additional data is required to support this usage.