How It Works:
Sodium bicarbonate is an antacid that reacts and neutralizes stomach acid to relieve heartburn and indigestion associated with hyperacidity (excessive stomach acid secretion). It also changes excess acid in body fluids and make it normal.
swelling of feet or lower legs, unusual tiredness or weakness and muscle pain or twitching., frequent urge to urinate, rapid breathing, unpleasant taste, mood or mental changes, Loss of appetite, nervousness or restlessness, nausea or vomiting, headache
Sodium bicarbonate is an alkali used to relieve heartburn and indigestion caused due to hyperacidity (excessive stomach acid secretion) and to replenish bicarbonate ions in the body (in metabolic acidosis). It is also used in cases of excessive muscle spasms and in revival of unconscious patients (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation).
- Do not take sodium bicarbonate if you are allergic to sodium bicarbonate or any ingredient in the formulation.
- Do not take sodium bicarbonate if you have alkalosis (too little acid in the body) or low blood levels of calcium or chloride.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered in case of patients with following history of disease conditions: hypertension, congestive heart failure, liver problems, kidney problems, a decreased amount of urine or no urine, swelling (fluid retention), or rectal bleeding of unknown cause; difficulty in respiration or low calcium in body.
- Avoid using sodium bicarbonate if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
- Take special precautions and consult your doctor if you begin to experience irritability or muscle rigidity.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) basic? Does it dissolve in water?Sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda, is basic (alkaline) in nature. It dissolves in water and neutralizes stomach acid to relieve heartburn and indigestion associated with hyperacidity.
Q. Does sodium bicarbonate whiten teeth or kill bacteria?Sodium bicarbonate can remove surface stains on teeth. Its antibacterial action, however, is not clearly understood yet.
Q. Is sodium bicarbonate gluten free?Yes, sodium bicarbonate is gluten free. Refer to the package insert of the prescribed brand to get the more information about components of the formulation.
Q. Does sodium bicarbonate raise blood pressure?Yes. If given in excess amount, it may raise blood pressure.
Q. Does sodium bicarbonate cause kidney stones?Sodium bicarbonate does not cause kidney stones and it is used in the treatment of special type of kidney stones (uric acid stones).