How It Works:
Sotalol belongs to a group of medicines called beta-blockers. It works by acting on the heart muscle to improve the heart's rhythm.
Swelling of the face, tongue and/ or throat with difficulty in swallowing or breathing., lips
Sotalol is used to treat arrhythmia (irregular heartbeats).
- Inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions: sick sinus syndrome or AV block; long QT syndrome, history of slow heart beats, severe heart failure, asthma or breathing disorder, low levels of potassium, severe kidney disease, electrolyte imbalance, diabetes.
- You may need to undergo frequent blood tests and electrocardiograph or ECG while taking sotalol.
- Do not take an antacid within 2 hours before or after you take sotalol.
- Take precautions while taking sotalol as it may cause low blood pressure.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as sotalol may cause dizziness or light-headedness.
- Do not consume alcohol along with sotalol as it may worsen the side effects.
- Sit or lie down slowly if you feel any signs of dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting after taking sotalol.
- Do not stop sotalol immediately as it may cause sharp chest pain, irregular heartbeat, and sometimes heart attacks.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. Is sotalol safe in pregnancy?Sotalol can be taken during pregnancy if the benefit outweighs the risk. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is it safe to use sotalol during breastfeeding?Sotalol should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is sotalol a blood thinner/ cardioselective/ beta blocker/ generic/ statin/ calcium channel blocker/ nitrate?Sotalol is a non-selective competitive beta-blocker.
Q. Does sotalol cause weight gain/ hair loss/ low heart rate/ raise blood pressure/ diarrhea/ shortness of breath?Sotalol is known to cause weight gain/ hair loss/ low heart rate/ raise blood pressure/ diarrhea/ shortness of breath. Consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.