How It Works:
Tropicamide, belongs to a class of medication called antimuscarinics. It blocks the activity of the acetyl choline receptor, thus stopping the transmission of nerve impulses. This in turn leads to dilation or enlargement of pupil as well temporary paralysis of parts of muscles of the eye.
Blurred vision, Dry mouth, Increased sensitivity to light, Eyelid swelling, Irritation, Stinging in the eyes
Tropicamide is used in eye examination and inflammation of the uvea (middle layer of the eye between the sclera and the retina)
- Seek medical attention if you have developed red or inflamed eyes.
- Do not use contact lenses while using this solution.
- Tropicamide increases sunlight sensitivity and hence you are advised to wear sunglasses while going outdoors.
- Do not drive or use heavy machinery immediately after using these drops as usage can cause blurred vision. Vision may be slightly blurred for up to 24 hours. Wait for eyes to clear up completely before using heavy machinery or driving.
- Do not use other eye drops for 24 hours after using tropicamide unless advised by the doctor.
- The lacrimal sac should be compressed by pressure for two to three minutes after instillation to avoid excessive systemic absorption.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding before using this eye drop.
Frequently Ask Questions:
Q. What is tropicamide used for?
Tropicamide is used to enlarge (dilate) the pupil of the eye (topical mydriatic) as well as for temporary paralysis of the eye (cycloplegia) for easy examination of different parts of the eye like the lens, vitreous humor, retina etc. by a doctor or eye specialist
Q. How does tropicamide work?
Tropicamide, belongs to a class of medication called antimuscarinics. It blocks the activity of the acetyl choline receptor, thus stopping the transmission of nerve impulses. This in turn leads to dilation as well temporary paralysis of the eye
Q. Why does tropicamide sting?
Tropicamide has mild stinging as a well-known side effect
Q. How quickly does tropicamide work?
Tropicamide is known to work usually within half an hour of using it.